Thursday, June 5, 2008

Camp Director

So, I am the new camp director for our ward. At first I didn't want to accept the calling, I even cried. The reasons for that is, we are already Webelos leaders, which is a one day a week commitment, not to mention planning activities. I work full time, I will be 7 months pregnant when camp is, and I have just been exhausted during this pregnancy. I told the bishop our situation and said if he still wanted me to be the camp director, I would do it. So, I am the camp director! We just had our pre-camp activity on Wednesday. It went pretty well. We did first aid certification, and then we had a Jeopardy game to test everyone's knowledge. It was actually quite fun! I think I'm a little too hard on myself sometimes, and I just want to do the very best I can, but I don't feel like I am sometimes. I was the camp director in another ward 2 years ago, and I felt like a failed. I did learn that I can only do the best I can, and I may feel like it wasn't as great a time as I had as a young woman at camp, but that's ok. I will just do my best, and hope the girls get something out of it!

14 comments:

Kathrin Paul said...

Blinky, I would pay BIG MONEY to come to camp with you as the director. Don't doubt yourself, you are AMAZING! You'll do such a fantastic job, and I'm sure the girls will have a wonderful experience!

Nielsen Familia said...

Thank you Biph! You are very nice!

April said...

Julia, you should have no reason to get down on yourself! I know you always do the best you can, and that's all Heavenly Father asks of you. I bet the camp experience 2 years ago went better for the girls than you think it did, and they learned things from your example that you don't even realize. I love you so much, and I know you'll be an awesome camp director this summer, even being 7 months pregnant. That will probably make it better, and you can tell April (your baby, when she's born) that she went to girls camp when she was a fetus!!!

Nielsen Familia said...

haha, thanks, and ok, I will tell her that!

Tim and Angie said...

I've been camp director, and it is tough, especially when you have other callings as well not to mention the 7 months pregnant thing. I bet you are wonderful at it though. The girls always have more fun than you think. You just aren't a YW anymore, so it isn't as much fun for you, but they're having fun. You rock Julia!

Nielsen Familia said...

Yeah, you're probably right Angie. I should stop stressing out about it and do what I can!

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

You are going to do sooooo good! The girls will love you! I think you will have so much fun.... and just think your little unborn girlie will get to tell stories about how her mom is tough and camped when she was pregnant!!

April said...

Hey Julia, why is your phone turned off?

April said...

Julia, please answer me! I am going crazy without you!

Nielsen Familia said...

Oh April, I was at girl's camp, silly. I went crazy without you too!!! I thought about texting you before I left, but forgot, sorry.

Des said...

Um, Didn't know you guys had a blog! Nice to know:) LOVE the picture of you guys pulling the handcart! I can relate on accepting a calling you don't think you can handle. But I would have to agree with your friends or family(I'm not sure who is who) You are the PERFECT girl for the job...minus the pregnant part. I would love to be a yw with you as my camp leader. You would be so fun. Has Isaac taught you this little game called "Bingy bangy..creepy crawly (maybe you already know it since your a game girl) But we played that a lot at girls camp and the other wards were jealous and wanted in on the fun. Good luck....Well unless camp is over already I guess I missed reading when camp was. whoopsy:)

Kathrin Paul said...

Hey Blinky, at camp this week we sang candle on the water and I thought of you. And laughed. Good times.

RobbandTKandfam said...

You would be one of the best camp directors ever. My ward growing up they always picked old staunchy ladies that couldn't even sleep in a tent. I am sure that you will do great. And no worries about being prego during that time. I feel your pain. But it all works out I am sure.

April said...

Hey Kathy, why does candle on the water make you think of Julia? Hey Julia, will you please make some new blog entries. Or you could just give me your password and I'll do some for you! You know how I like to do things like that!